Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sola Scriptura


EPISTOLA MARTYRI PETRI AD SOFIAM NOBILE
(Mater semper dignus est)

A love story.

From the letters of Peter, the boy:

"My dearest Sofia,

It has been a long time since we have corrsponded. From the time we first met seven years ago, I knew I had to be with you. I cannot possibly live without you. It sounds horribly cliched, but know that my feelings are true. When we first met at the public square, do you remember how the man looked? His eyes were filled with sorrow. He looked at you, as he did me. In that space between seconds, our eyes met.

It is ironic, really. Just twelve days before that day, I had a chance to talk to the man. He was so full of compassion and goodness. It haunts me how those men could could so easily mock and and blame him for a crime he didn't commit. It was the height of travesty, as you and I both know. I have done many things-- much of which I am not proud off-- and I felt as if he took them all away. In his moment of agony, I found life anew.

I love you with all of my being. Don't you find it strange-- even supernatural-- how we both found love and redemption in that man's last hour? To this day, the look on his eyes still haunt me. But it is a look that, despite the suffering he endures, imparts peace to me.

They are sending me away. This will probably be the last time we will be able to talk for a very long time. Know that I love you, and that I long to be with you again.

Peter"

From the letters of Sofia, the girl:

"My love,

It grieves me how I cannot be with you in your hour of need. I am stuck here. I know that I know no fear, but I am rendered weak and helpless by circumstances beyond my control. My heart longs for you, and I find that I cannot rest until I know you are safe. Dearest Peter, I love you with a love that burns. It kills me how we are so cruelly set apart by the vicissitudes of fate.

I remember the man and how he looked at both of us. I remember, too, the jeering of the crowd, their bloodthirsty calls for violence. I remember how they breathed fire at him for every word of kindness, every trace of forgiveness he had for them. I felt it, too. I felt his gaze. I could feel him staring at me with loving and forgiving eyes, despite the barbarity of those around him.

How I wish I had been able to talk to him. He haunts me still, as he does you. There is something in me, something ineffable, that he has done. It is as if he has given me all the strength in the world.

It is a cruel fate to be haunted by this dead man! Know that I am with you always. Mt heart goes out to you in your hour of desperation. I will be the gentle breeze, the warm rays of the sun, the laughter of a child that will keep you company in your arduous journey. I love you.

Sofia"

From the letters of an unnamed man:

"Distinguished colleagues:

In my incessant search for meaning, I, in my twilight years, have finally deciphered the meaning of these letters. They are the accounts of two lovers who were involved in a brutal murder some XXX years ago. In fact, they seem to be the earliest extant copies of erotic poems. Note, in the first letter, the epistle of the so-called 'Peter' how he longs to be with her again, presumably to consummate their love. It is a language of carnal power. It expresses the intense longing both of them have for each other. It is a tour de force of human sexuality as viewed in these times.

In the second letter, the one of 'Sofia', we read of her desperation and longing for his presence. In one line, in particular, we read of her love as 'a love that burns'. This is an obvious allusion to the orgasm. Again, we read of the ineffable being set off in her by the man. Sofia is perhaps one of the most important women in history: her letter clearly shows that she is a woman in control. The ineffable here could be taken as a reference to masturbation. She is a liberated woman, who comforts her man, instead of the other way around.

These are only my preliminary findings. I am terribly excited to know more. I will be keeping in touch as much as I can.

Dr. **************."

STAT ROSA PRISTINA NOMINE, NOMINA NUDA TENEMUS.

(Finis)

No comments: