Friday, June 05, 2009

QOTD

Pieced together from a rather loud conversation I overheard on the bus exactly a week ago. They were arguing in Tagalog, and while a lot is lost in translation from Tagalog into English, I think I managed to get the gist of their arguments.

'You know, all this extravagance in this church is just unnecessary. Do you really, honestly think God feels honored that you splurge so much on Him, when your fellow men are hungry? This is a classic case of arrogance. The Church is too concerned with riches, that's why so many people are leaving it. This church is offensive to poor people everywhere. It's a sin to worship here!'

'With all due respect-- if they had not built this church, we would not have had jobs, we would not have been able to perpetuate an art form, we wouldn't have been able to get even a brief respite from all the poverty around us. Without jobs we can't eat, and I'm sure even you agree that a poor man with a job is better than a poor man with a dole out. And would you rather pay to enter a museum to see this kind of craftsmanship? At least you get to see it here for free! What's really arrogant is how you think we can't have a beautiful church because we are poor. You need to grow up, asshole.'

3 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

*gives a standing ovation*

Andrew said...

A great Amen to the last line. =)

Archistrategos said...

I wish I paid more attention to their conversation, but I was already too sleepy to pay attention, LOL. I think the 'bad guy' was a minister of some sect or something. My hat's off to the good guy :D