Monday, December 19, 2011

True Faith!


A friend shared this photo on Facebook earlier today. It is from a church in Cagayan de Oro, a province in the southern Philippines, which was recently devastated by typhoon Washi (local name Sendong). The storm has so far left almost six hundred dead. That such a tragedy could happen so close to Christmas is indeed deplorable. If one thinks about it, these people have every right to get angry with God; I know I probably would. Instead, what we see is a full church-- packed with people for the nine day Simbang Gabi (Dawn Masses held in honor of the Virgin) despite knee-deep waters. I can only stand back in awe at their faith. It is a quiet, confident trust in the Almighty that does need coddling or prodding, exaltation or ratification. It is simply beautiful to behold, even in the midst if heartbreakibg tragedy. I can only wish that my faith would reach that level someday. Res ipsa loquitur!

No comments: